Semester: Fall 2017
Instructor: Dr. Bryan Marshall
Email: email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org
CRN: 81243 | 81245
Time: 2:00 – 3:15 pm | 3:30 – 4:45 pm
Location: ATK 309
The course covers computer hardware and operating systems, an in-depth look at data communications and networking requirements, including networking and telecommunications technologies, hardware, and software. The course ends with an overview of system administration. Students will understand the fundamentals of virtualization and the importance of the command line interface when managing a server system.
Each student will:
- Demonstrate a working knowledge of PC nomenclature, including how to troubleshoot common PC issues.
- Demonstrate a working knowledge of network hardware, media and protocols
- Demonstrate a working knowledge of network security, including VPNs, firewalls, and intrusion detection devices
- Demonstrate a working knowledge of virtualization, running a server in a virtual environment
- Demonstrate a working knowledge of Linux (Ubuntu), managing services and users in a web based environment.
Not available yet – however, there will be three custom books.
Grading (1000 pts)
Assignments – 500 pts (10 assignments @ 50 pts each)
Quizzes – 170 pts (17 quizzes @ 10 pts each)
Computer Hardware Exam – 75 pts
Networking Exam – 75 pts
Linux Exam – 80 pts
The class assignments and grades are managed on D2L. ALL OF YOUR ASSIGNMENTS WILL BE UPLOADED AND GRADED ON D2L!!!