Prerequisite: CBIS 3210, CBIS 3214 and CBIS 4210, all with a grade of C or better. This course is a capstone course which helps the student integrate all concepts taught in the CBIS curriculum. The students will learn about, and employ, web based scripting languages to manage the creation and deployment of a web-based application. Content of the course is project based and stresses knowledge gained in the prerequisite classes.
The following are three broad goals for this course:
- Apply programming to everyday life to solve problems.
- See the value in learning programming and how it can help business.
- Approach a problem systematically, breaking down the required parts and building a working application.
- Become more confident in their programming skills and what programs can do.
- Understand basic key terms like variables, constants, functions, and loops.
- Build and connect to a database
- Design and deploy a Python GUI
- Take a basic Python application to a web framework
Grading (1000 pts)
- A1 – Flask Setup (1/22) 75 pts
- A2 – Site Structure (2/5) 75 pts
- A3 – Heroku (2/19) 100 pts
- A4 – Login / Database (3/5) 100 pts
- A5 – Asset Class (3/5) 100 pts
- A6 – Ticker Class (3/26) 100 pts
- A7 – Transactions (3/26) 100 pts
- A8 – Ticker API (4/9) 100 pts
- Final Project (5/3) 250 pts
A 900 – 1000 pts
B 800 – 899 pts
C 700 – 799 pts
D 600 – 699 pts
F Less than 599
Flask Web Development by Miguel Grinberg (2nd Edition) 978-1-491-99173-2 (optional but recommended)
Late Homework Policy
Homework is expected to be completed individually unless otherwise directed. Please turn in your work on
time for full credit. Points will be deducted for late work submitted. Exams and Quizzes cannot be turned in after their due dates without prior arrangement.
Late submissions – Assignments can be turned in after the due date. The following penalties will be applied:
- Past time due – 10%
- 24 hours past time due – 20%
- 48 hours past time due – 30%
- 72 hours past time due – 40%
- 1 Week or more past due – 50%