Management of data as a resource. Development of a conceptual framework to evaluate, select, acquire, install, and maintain commercial data base management packages for use in information systems. Data structures, data storage, data representation, data flow, data dictionaries, access methods, utilities, query languages, security backup, configuration control, distributed data bases, and future directions in data base management are explored.
The following are three broad goals for this course:
- Demonstrate a thorough understanding of the elements of database management systems by building database management systems.
- Demonstrate a thorough understanding of the managerial issues involved in database management by examination and presentations.
- Demonstrate a thorough knowledge of data modeling techniques and their use with CASE tools through the actual design of database management systems.
Grading (1000 pts)
- 1 Exam — 100 points
- 5 Lynda Courses (50 pts each) — 250 pts
- 5 Assignments (50 pts each) — 250 pts
- 2 DB Projects (100 pts each) — 200 pts
- 1 Final Project — 200 pts
A 900 – 1000 pts
B 800 – 899 pts
C 700 – 799 pts
D 600 – 699 pts
F Less than 599
Database Design – 2nd Edition by Adrienne Watt
Late Homework Policy
Homework is expected to be completed individually unless otherwise directed. Please turn in your work on
time for full credit. Points will be deducted for late work submitted. Exams and Quizzes cannot be turned in after their due dates without prior arrangement.
Late submissions – Assignments can be turned in after the due date. The following penalties will be applied:
- Past time due – 10%
- 24 hours past time due – 20%
- 48 hours past time due – 30%
- 72 hours past time due – 40%
- 1 Week or more past due – 50%
Lynda 1: SQL for Non-Programmers (Jan 2021)
Julianne Thouin (1h 30m)
Lynda 2: Relational Databases Essential Training (Sep 2019)
Adam Wilbert (2h 12m)
Lynda 3: Programming Foundations: Databases (Mar 2019)
Scott Simpson (1h 25m)
Lynda 4: Learning Relational Databases (Sep 2017) * FINAL EXAM
Adam Wilbert (2h 43m)
Lynda 5: Learning SQL Programming (Mar 2021) * FINAL EXAM
Scott Simpson (1h 46m)