Week 9: Lynda Course - Database Foundations
Lynda LinkedIn Learning 4: Administration
Ongoing, regular administration is critical to the security and performance of databases such as SQL Server. In this course—the fourth installment in the Database Foundations series—explore vital techniques and best practices for administering a database. Instructor Adam Wilbert covers a variety of core concepts, including how to secure a server with user authentication and roles, protect your database by setting up permissions for authorized user accounts, and perform a backup and restore.
Duration: Approximately 2 hours
By the end of this week, you should be able to:
- Restore a database
- Incremental backup strategies
- Understand server security and permissions
Your Tasks for the Week
Enroll in the Course: Access the course on LinkedIn Learning. If you encounter any issues accessing the course, please reach out for assistance.
Watch and Learn: Dedicate time to watch the course modules. The course is split into sections; make sure to complete all of them. Take notes as you go along, especially on topics that are new or challenging.
Practical Exercises: The course includes practical exercises using Docker and SQL commands. Ensure you complete these exercises to apply what you’ve learned. Remember, practical application is key in understanding database concepts. Make sure you complete the practical exercises, you will be turning in a short video of what you completed.
Get Certified: LinkedIn Learning Certificate
- Office Hours: I’m available for office hours on Monday @ 7:30 pm EST for any questions or further discussion.
Stay on track with your learning! Consistent progress is crucial in an asynchronous course like ours. If you have any concerns or need extra support, please don’t hesitate to reach out.
Video Showcase: Create a 60-second video demonstrating your course achievements, including Docker container projects and certificates.
Reflection: In the assignment’s comment section, write a short paragraph reflecting on your learning experience. Highlight what you enjoyed and found intriguing about the assignment.
Rubric for Assignment Evaluation (Total: 50 Points)
- Course Completion (20 Points): Full completion of course modules.
- Practical Exercise Completion (20 Points): Successful completion and demonstration of Docker and SQL exercises.
- Video Presentation (5 Points): Clarity and thoroughness in showcasing course accomplishments.
- Reflective Commentary (5 Points): Insightfulness and thoughtfulness in the written reflection.